How to Avoid Heat Stress In Mining Environments
Did you know that heat stress can sometimes be fatal?
For that reason alone, it’s important to use a buddy system. Everyone needs to know what to watch for when working in hot mining environments, whether underground or on the surface. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has just released a new two-page “Heat Stress Overview” that can help you better understand how to stay safe in these situations.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT HEAT ILLNESS
- Heat exposure can cause a range of effects on your body, from irritating rashes to heat stroke, which can often be fatal.
- Heat exposure can cause confusion or poor judgment. Use the buddy system to monitor coworkers for heat illness.
- Drinking enough water is critical to prevent heat illness. Stay hydrated.
- Cooling is the treatment for all heat illness.
- CORESafety Module #13 –Occupational Health Summary – go here.
- CORESafety Module #13 –Occupational Health Resources – click here.
- CORESafety Website – go here.
- On August 12, 2021